After a decade of stardom in Israel, American dancer Bobbi Jene decides to leave behind her prominent position at the world-famous Batsheva Dance Company, as well as the love of her life, to return to the U.S. to create her own boundary breaking art. Tracking the personal and professional challenges that await her, Elvira Lind’s film lovingly and intimately documents the dilemmas and inevitable consequences of ambition. BOBBI JENE delves into what it takes for a woman to gain her own independence in the extremely competitive world of dance and to find self-fulfillment in the process.
About direction (Elvira Lind)
Born in 1981 in Copenhagen, Elvira Lind graduated from City Varsity -School of Media and Creative Arts in Cape Town in 2006. Majoring in documentary film, she has spent the past 10 years working in all aspects of production, primarily within the field of documentary in the UK, Denmark, Sweden, Israel, USA and South Africa. In 2014 she finished her first feature-length documentary Songs for Alexis, which screened at IDFA, Doc New York, CPH:DOX, amongst many other festivals. Bobbi Jene is Elvira´s second feature-length documentary film.
Awards & Festivals
- Best Documentary, Best Cinematography and Best Editing. Tribeca Film Festival – USA, 2017
- Student Jury Award. CinéDOC-Tblisi – Georgia, 2018
- 2nd Prize. DokuBaku IDFF – Azerbaijan, 2018
- Oficial Selection. DocsBarcelona – Spain, 2018
- Melbourne IFF – Australia, 2017
- DocAviv – Israel, 2017
- HotDocs – Canada, 2017
- Grand Angle. Visions de Reel – Switzerland, 2017