Meet Tajikistan’s answer to the Jackson family. Nearly 80, Allo “Papa” Alaev rules his celebrated folk music clan with an iron tambourine. Beginning with his unilateral decision to emigrate to Israel, the gifted musician micro-manages nearly every aspect of their lives, both on stage and off. From every meal made in his kitchen to what instrument each member will play, the patriarch accepts nothing less than total commitment and obedience. Every child and grandchild lives in their single-family house in Tel Aviv. All but one, that is. His only daughter, Ada, chose her own way in life, a sin her father will not forgive. As generations clash over new musical directions, competing personal interests and Papa’s advancing age, the family show must go on—but who will lead the band? Set to a blazing tribal soundtrack, drama and drumbeats sing out from every entertaining exchange in this grand family affair.
About direction (Tal Barda & Noam Pinchas)
Tal BARDA (1983, Israel), born to an American mother and French father, studied Film and Television at the University of Tel Aviv and Art History and Communications at Le Mirail University in France. She directed and produced among others the documentary A Heartbeat Away (2015) and directed The Wonderful Kingdom of Papa Alaev (2016) together with Noam Pinchas.
Noam PINCHAS (1974, Israel) was educated at the North East College of Communications in Boston. He has been making documentaries since 2006 and focuses on interesting, funny or charismatic characters. In 2013, he co-produced and co-edited Shirly Berkovitz’s The Good Son (2013), which premiered at IDFA and was the opening film at DocsBarcelona. The Wonderful Kingdom of Papa Alaev (2016) is his latest feature-length documentary.
Awards & Festivals
- Australia Jewish Film Festival - Australia, 2016
- Kassel Doc International Film Festival - Germany, 2016
- LA Israeli Film Festival - USA, 2016
- Gold Coast International Film Festival - USA, 2016
- DOC NYC - USA, 2016
- Chicago Festival of Israeli Cinema - USA, 2016
- Sao Paulo International Film Festival - Brazil, 2016
- WOMEX - Spain, 2016
- Flahertiana International Documentary Film Festival - Russia, 2016
- Official Competition, Docaviv International Film Festival - Israel 2016
- World Premiere, Official selection, Hot Docs International Film Festival - Canada 2016