The end of an athlete’s career is a race against time and a fight against an inevitable demise. The addictive need to participate defies logic and creates a mesmerising and painful spectacle. TIME TRIAL takes us into the final races of cyclist David Millar’s career, leading up to his last encounter with the Tour de France. We go inside the peloton, we’re pushed up impossible climbs and forced down rapid descents, we lie alongside him in his hotel room in post-race agony. We ride in the support car, the source of comfort, supplies and fleeting relief from the cold. And we know that every mile travelled is a mile closer to the end. TIME TRIAL gets us close to David Millar, revealing how the human spirit is driven by a force deeper than success and glory. Filmed using pioneering techniques, bespoke vehicles and on-bike cameras, and with a new score by US composer Dan Deacon.
About direction (Finlay Pretsell)
Finlay Pretsell is a film director awarded with a BAFTA and a former professional cyclist. He has directed many short films, 6 of them awarded in international festivals. Recently, he has produced the film Norflok (2015) for the BBC Films. His irruption as a filmmaker was in 2007, with Standing Star, a short film where he documents his passion for cycling.
Awards & Festivals
- Nominated in Best Documentary in IDFA – Netherlands, 2017
- Nominated in Best Documentary in BendFilm Festival – United States, 2018
- Nominated in Best Documentary in Cleveland IFF – United States, 2018
- Nominated in Best Documentary in Edimburgo IFF – United Kingdom, 2018
- Nominated Illuminate Award, Sheffield IDF – United Kingdom, 2018
- Nominated in Best Documentary in Sofía IFF – Bulgaria, 2018
- Official Selection, Göteborg FF – Sweden, 2018
- Official Selection, SXSW – United States, 2018
- Official Selection, CPH:DOX* – Denmark, 2018
- Official Selection, Visions du Réel – Switzerland, 2018
- Official Selection, Full Frame Documentary FF – United States, 2018