Little Marwa lives in a refugee camp since she fled Syria with her family. Dina Naser’s attentive eye follows the daily life of Marwa, a lively and open spirit who does not understand walls or bars. Going from childhood to adulthood will lead to new challenges to survive in an environment where, in spite of everything, life goes on.
Marwa has adapted to life in the country, has friends to play with, and goes to school. But when her older brother is interrogated by the authorities about his association with extremist militants, she is confronted with a new reality: her “settled” life takes a huge turn that will make her question certain truths. For four years, the charm, positivism and determination of the protagonist captivated the filmmaker, who saw in her an inspiring testimony of resistance, survival and hope. The harsh conditions in the countryside have never bent Marwa’s will to build her own path.
About direction (Dina Naser)
Dina Naser is a Jordanian director and producer of Palestinian roots, who first graduated with a BA in Art and Graphic Design in 2003. In 2013, Dina was granted the Docnomads scholarship program for Master Degree Documentary Filmmaking in Lisbon, Budapest and Brussels. Post graduating, she followed her passion for filmmaking, and worked her way through diverse TV productions like Sesame Street, and film productions such as The Cut by Fatih Akin, and Inchallah by Anais Barbeau-Lavalere. She then began to independently direct and produce. Dinaʼs devotion for documenting is inspired by people who are seemingly ordinary, until you learn of their unsung circumstances, and by stories that spring from her homeland in Palestine. Her subjects are presented with poise and untainted perception, often touching on the veiled layers of certain communities and habitats.
Awards & Festivals
- CPH:DOX – Denmark, 2019
- DocsBarcelona – Spain, 2019
- Human Rights Award, Dokufest International Documentary and Short Film Festival – Kosovo, 2019
- Malmo Arab Film Festival – Sweden, 2019
- Sheffield Doc/Fest – UK, 2019
- Nominee Best Documenraty, Cork International Film Festival – Irleland, 2019
- Best of Fests, IDFA – Netherlands, 2019
- Karama Human Rights Film Festival – Jordan, 2019
- Festival Scope Pro – Europe, 2019
- Verzio International Film Festival – Hungary, 2019
- Palestina Cinema Days – Palestine, 2019
- Arab Film Festival San Francisco Bay Area – USA, 2019